ISA Server or Firewall Appliance?

From: Marcos Marrero (mmarrero_at_LLOYDSTSB-USA.com)
Date: 11/15/05

    Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:58:12 -0500
    To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Hello to all,

    I have a question to see what everyone out there thinks. Here it goes...

    Is it better to have a firewall appliance (Checkpoint, Juniper, etc) or
    is ISA server enough to use as a firewall (along with all of the other
    options it provides)?

    Of course the ISA server would sit facing the internet, like a firewall
    would and it would have to sit on a hardened machine.

    Just want to know what everyone out there thinks about this
    configuration or idea?

    Regards
    Marcos Marrero * Banking Officer * Data Security
    Lloyds TSB Bank * US Information Technology
    _________________________________
    Tel: (305) 347-6421 * Fax (305) 371-8607

    This Email is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee only.
    If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use the
    contents nor disclose them to any other person and you should
    immediately notify the sender and delete the Email.

    Lloyds TSB Bank plc is registered in England and Wales Number: 2065.
    Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN.

    service.

    • Re: IPFW almost works now -> stateful rules
      ... >> add 65000 deny log ip from any to any ... > ON the firewall, but the machines BEHIND the firewall ... The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential, ... the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] Proverbial appliance vs software based firewall
      ... I like the appliance approach better. ... firewall over a "software based" firewall. ... are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, ... If you have received this communication in error, ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Simplest way to deny access to a class C
      ... I guess that I will install a firewall, that way I can also block those ... To unsubscribe, ... "This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • RE: Simplest way to deny access to a class C
      ... I guess that I will install a firewall, that way I can also block those Class C's from sending tons of emails to non existing accounts.... ... > "discover" directories or applications under the web server. ... "This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Simplest way to deny access to a class C
      ... to "discover" directories or applications under the web server. ... I have not installed any kind of firewall yet. ... "This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient ... any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email ...
      (freebsd-questions)