Re: WSUS/Reboot

From: jordanpw (jordanpw_at_gmail.com)
Date: 06/17/05

    Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:26:37 -0500
    To: "Benjamin B. Williams" <benw@gwu.edu>

    There's probably a much neater / slicker script for this somewhere, but
    you can sort of 'unslickly' script this with a series of shutdown
    commands in a batch file right? Using its switches to specify
    servernames and timeout before shutdown for each - once you have your
    maintenance window agreed with management ...

    Benjamin B. Williams wrote:

    >Ron,
    >
    >What I usually do is download the updates to the WSUS server, then use Group
    >Policy to configure all servers to download (but not install) the updates.
    >Then I manually install/reboot in an order that minimizes specific downtimes
    >of services.
    >
    >Then again, I don't have 150 boxes. It may be in your best interests to
    >schedule them via Group Policy to auto-install and reset -- perhaps not all
    >at once but in blocks?
    >
    >Benjamin B. Williams, MCSE
    >Senior Programmer/Analyst
    >Academic Technologies
    >The George Washington University
    >
    >202-994-7611 (p)
    >202-994-3600 (f)
    >202-412-4697 (m)

    • Re: Windows SBS 2008 hangs on restart
      ... This is an x64 server that is a brand new fresh install. ... "Millette" wrote: ... Second option would be get the server in the shutdown hang condition ...
    • Re: W2K3 server is locked
      ... You could do it using Computer Management. ... Now go to Shutdown and under Action click Log ... will allow me to remotely connect the the Windows 2003 Server? ... Do I have to install the 2003 Resource kit on this XP Professional ...
    • 10 Minute Shutdown
      ... I have installed a new server with MS SQL 2000 and SharePoint Services 2. ... Everytime I shutdown or reboot the server, ... It starts to occur after I install the SharePoint ...
    • Re: W2K3 server is locked
      ... Entered it at the command level and all attributes show under help. ... Is there any way to logoff instead of shutdown? ... allow me to remotely connect the the Windows 2003 Server? ... Do I have to install the 2003 Resource kit on this XP Professional ...
    • Re: New Event Log Errors!
      ... Somehow along those lines I'd also installed the Certificate Authority ... Did you apply the last Server Pack for SBS Server? ... Please install Windows Support Tools on the win2k3 sp1 problematic ... Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)