Re: using certificates in Outlook for encryption

From: Andrew Sciberras (andrewsciberras_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/15/05

    Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:12:48 +1000
    To: "Stegman, William" <Bill.Stegman@transcore.com>

    Hi,

    Encrypting an email is (in very simple terms) the act of you encrypting
    the message with someone else's public key, thus ensuring that the only
    person that can read it is the owner of the private key. This should
    only correspond to 1 entity, your recipient.

    Generally, outlook will obtain public keys of other people from their
    certificate. So, once you store another's persons certificate within
    your store (generally from an email that they've sent you) you will then
    possess all of the technical pieces of information to send them an
    encrypted message.

    What might be failing is policy related checking... Possibly:
     * Does the recipient's certificate contain an email address that
    matches (exactly) the email address that you are using in your email to
    them?
     * Does the recipient's certificate contain a keyUsage or
    extendedKeyUsage field? And if so, does this usage include the digital
    signature choice?
     * Does your system trust the CA certificate that issued the
    Certificate? (Im assuming it does)

    I would really be looking out for the matches in email addresses first.

    Andrew Sciberras
    eB2Bcom