Re: Windows XP SP2 update

From: Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] (sbradcpa_at_pacbell.net)
Date: 04/07/05

    Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:02:38 -0700
    To: "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net>

    Understanding the Windows XP SP2 Blocking Mechanism:
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/45798/45798.html

    "However--and this is the most important point--Automatic Updates won't
    automatically install SP2 at that time. Instead, you must first agree to
    the End User License Agreement (EULA) before SP2 will install via
    Automatic Updates. If you decline the EULA, SP2 won't install. End of
    controversy. "

    Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:

    > Gawd bless it...not another post...
    >
    > NO THEY ARE NOT....
    >
    > 1. only if you had the kill bit enabled...do you? I didn't..I don't
    > know of anyone who used it ... is it expiring
    > 2. Only if you have autoupdates enabled... kill bit gone...then shut
    > off AU
    > 3. even with the AU enabled, the kill bit gone you STILL have to
    > click on a EULA
    >
    > Geeze between Microsoft themselves not clarifying how few people used
    > this, how few people will be affected by this.. it's insane the amount
    > of misinformation April 12th has.
    >
    > Nothing will happen..if you want to stay on a less secure XP sp1...
    > you have every right to do so.
    >
    > Me I already upgraded a long time ago.
    >
    > And no.. Windws 2003 isn't on AU either... if you got it you approved
    > it on SUS or you WU'd it yourself..
    >
    > The FUD over this kill bit thing is insane.
    >
    > Like a fellow mvp said... he thinks he could convince people that it
    > will be installed even if the computer isn't turned on and he bets
    > that the newsmedia would buy it.
    >
    > Susan
    >
    > John Madden wrote:
    >
    >> Forgot about this one...
    >>
    >> Microsoft is forcing the upgrade to XP2 by april 12th.
    >>
    >> This is going to be a nightmare if all pc's get
    >> updated at the same time...
    >>

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx
    >>

    >> __________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger Show us what our
    >> next emoticon should look like. Join the fun.
    >> http://www.advision.webevents.yahoo.com/emoticontest

    Chapter 4 of The Complete Patch Management Book:
    https://www.ecora.com/ecora/jump/pm149.asp
    So why is it the only book on NT Event Logging is out of print?
    http://tinyurl.com/3kwc2
    And if you don't know about www.eventid.net You should!