RE: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1

From: Ryan Gravlin (RGravlin_at_newvision-inc.com)
Date: 04/05/05

    Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:21:39 -0400
    To: "Thaddeus McNamara" <tk@coast-radio.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    I have installed it on a Windows 2003 Standard test server. It's
    actually very nice, although the security configuration wizard isn't
    installed by default. It comes with a firewall exactly like XP SP2.
    The configuration tool itself is really nice, it uses the server role
    selection and then continues to:

    - shut off client services (dns, dhcp, wins, etc...)
    - enable/disable administration services (rdp, backup, firewall, etc...)
    - network ports to open (http, dns, etc... You can also add your own!!)
    - SMB security signature requirements
    - methods used to authenticate with remote computers (domain, local,
    file sharing accounts)
    - inbound authentication methods (remote hosts that require lan manager,
    not configured to use ntlmv2
    - configure auditing
    - enable/disable web extensions for IIS
    - directories to retain for IIS
    - deny anonymous write access to content files

    Overall pretty nice!!

    Hope that answers your question.

    Ryan Gravlin

    New Vision Consulting, Inc.