RE: Windows firewall scopes for notebook users ex office...

From: Jim Harrison (ISA) (jmharr_at_microsoft.com)
Date: 03/23/05

    Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:43:03 -0800
    To: "Murad Talukdar" <talukdar_m@subway.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    "Scope" is determined in the context of the current IP settings.
    If the domain subnet is 10.9.8/24 and the home net is 123.123.123/24,
    then the Windows Firewall adjusts to that and deals with traffic
    according to basic subnetting rules.

    It really doesn't matter what the subnet is; if the scope is defined as
    "subnet", then all hosts in the current subnet are able to touch that
    protocol/port.

    Jim Harrison
    Security Business Unit (ISA SE)