Computer accounts in NTFS permissions

From: Daniel Schmidt (dschmidt_at_buddyrents.com)
Date: 02/23/05

    To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:32:38 -0500

    It is my understanding that computer accounts can be used as security
    principals, but using them in a NTFS ACL seems to have no effect. Does
    computer account authentication only authorize accesses from the SYSTEM
    account? Can anyone point me toward some useful reading on the subject?

    Daniel Schmidt
    Network Technician
    Buddy's Home Furnishings
    813.623.5461 x128
    dschmidt@buddyrents.com

    • RE: Computer accounts in NTFS permissions
      ... Security filtering in Group Policy for computer policies works using ... LocalSystem) goes and talks to the domain controller, ... Computer accounts in NTFS permissions ... computer security principal in NTFS ACLs won't have any effect. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: Central Site info not flowing down
      ... > Sounds like a security issue. ... > to the Site to Site Connection group. ... This means that all child site servers ... > Parent site server computer accounts should be added to the Site to Site ...
      (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
    • Re: Computer accounts in NTFS permissions
      ... And permissions won't be enforced just because a user or service ... able to set up NTFS ACLs using the appropriate account (System, ... Security PS - Kansas City ... > It is my understanding that computer accounts can be used as security ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: Missing Computer Accounts
      ... In every case I have investigated this alleged occurrence someone or something was actually deleting the objects. ... It's been my experience that computer accounts don't randomly get suicidal and leave the domain. ... I've checked event viewer under Security and specifically the Account ... to varifiy that auditing of account management is indeed turned on. ...
    • Re: Missing Computer Accounts
      ... You've checked to see that nobody is manually removing them. ... I have an issue where computer accounts just randomly go missing in Active ... I've checked event viewer under Security and specifically the Account ... to varifiy that auditing of account management is indeed turned on. ...