RE: Password Protected Screen Saver and Administrative Password

From: Benjamin D. Goldman (bgoldman_at_kipany.com)
Date: 02/09/05

    Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:35:12 -0500
    To: "Brady McClenon" <mcclenon@albany.edu>, <tom.milliner@verizon.net>

    im not sure why you have a problem:

    why not just create an account on the computer that has all the permissions necessary to run the applications you think you ahve to run in the user session, and give the username and password to the remote support group?

    Dont leave your "screen saver" "protected" session open as administrator, or YOU - leave it open as the account you want the remote support group to use.

    for anyone who is wondering why they are using go to my pc - its most likely because they cannot support all the stuff needed to get a secure connection to the machine otehrwise (VPN, etc etc etc) otherwise, they could just run terminal services, etc.

    Incidentally - if you can move off go to my pc, and use a controlled VPN, etc, you might also want to consider why the server even needs to be logged in (which would create the screen saver situation in the first place)

    Most applications that people think need to be run in a user session can actually be put on timers, etc and run without a session open.