RE: Dhcp security

skander.ben.mansour_at_accenture.com
Date: 01/28/05

    Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:04:19 +0100
    To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Hello Paul,

    This might be overkill in your environment but:

    Another idea is to leverage your AD infrastructure to authenticate users
    using the 802.1x protocol.

    The 802.1x protocol only allows authenticated users to connect to a
    switch port, or can grant limited connectivity to unauthenticated users.

    The following Microsoft link shows how to set this up for a wireless
    network.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/5min
    /5min-303.mspx

    Setting up a 802.1x wired network requires:
    - a 802.1x client on the users workstations/laptops
    - a 802.1x compatible switch (supported by most Cisco switches)
    - a RADIUS server (I believe W2K Server includes a RADIUS service, which
    then proxies the authentication to the AD domain server)

    It provides the advantage of scaling to large deployments, compared to
    manual MAC address/switch port configuration.

    Regarding controling virus spreading from uncontrolled devices, some
    vendors, including Cisco, provide solutions to ensure that only properly
    configured/patched/AV updated devices can connect to the network:
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/neso/sqso/csdni_wp.htm
    "Cisco Trust Agent-Software that resides on an endpoint system. The
    trust agent collects security state information from multiple security
    software clients, such as anti-virus clients, and then communicates this
    information to Cisco network access devices, which enforce admission
    control. Cisco has licensed trust agent technology to its anti-virus
    co-sponsors so that it can be integrated with their security software
    client products. The trust agent will also be integrated with the Cisco
    Security Agent to enforce access privileges based on an endpoint's
    operating system patch level. Cisco Security Agent, a day-zero host
    protection software solution, will assess the operating system version,
    patch, and hot fix information and will communicate this information to
    the Cisco Trust Agent. Hosts that are not running the proper patches may
    be given limited access or denied network access."

    I hope this helps.

    Best Regards,

    Skander Ben Mansour, CISA CISSP

    ---