Re: IIS6 on W2k3 DCs

From: Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] (sbradcpa_at_pacbell.net)
Date: 01/19/05

    Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:10:10 -0800
    To: "Depp, Dennis M." <deppdm@ornl.gov>

    There's that checklist again :-)

    My sister's large entity that she works at, I'm sure does not put IIS on
    their DC... yet they allow any employee to click on any email attachment.

    Yeah... they don't have IIS on their DC....meet that security best
    practice all right.. but they've got a slightly bigger issue in my book
    [and have the virus infections and malware to prove it].

    All I'm saying is that I cringe when hearing "blanket statements". For
    the space that 99.9999999% of the folks on this list work in your
    statement is correct.

    For one wacko SBSer on this list, I still would argue that we can take
    the risk and so far with IIS 6, prove it on regular basis in the
    newsgroups.

    Susan

    --
    An open letter to the Security Community::
    http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/12/12/23540.aspx

    • Re: NT AuthorizationAnonyomous logon error
      ... SQL BI Product Unit ... What I am doing now is creating a CAB file coping to the IIS ... >>> I have a SQL box and a IIS server. ... >>> Server and have place several cube that I wish client to access via a ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.olap)
    • RE: IIS6 on W2k3 DCs
      ... installed on a domain controller. ... When IIS is installed on a Domain ... While I can protect each IIS server equally well, ... Didn't an IIS server survive OpenHackIV with IIS, SQL and IPsec? ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: How negative is IIS running on MyDCChildDomain ?
      ... You are correct that by adding IIS to your domain controller, ... you are OK with the security risks and this server is not accessible from ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: How negative is IIS running on MyDCChildDomain ?
      ... > You are correct that by adding IIS to your domain controller, ... > you are OK with the security risks and this server is not accessible from ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: IIS6 on W2k3 DCs
      ... IIS like any other web server can not be made secure! ... >installed on a domain controller. ... >a best security practice not to place IIS on a DC. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)