RE: IIS6 on W2k3 DCs

From: Harlan Carvey (keydet89_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 01/14/05

    Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:07:01 -0800 (PST)
    To: "Benjamin D. Goldman" <bgoldman@kipany.com>, Joe Blatz <sd_wireless@yahoo.com>, focus-ms@securityfocus.com

    Joe,

    Here, I'll do this to help...

    DO NOT RUN IIS ON W2K3 DCs.

    Take that to your customer.

    If you need reasoning, then consider this...anytime
    you add new functionality (ie, a web server) to a
    system, you increase the attack surface and the
    management overhead.

    =====
    Harlan Carvey, CISSP
    "Windows Forensics and Incident Recovery"
    http://www.windows-ir.com
    http://windowsir.blogspot.com

    • Re: Function Points
      ... how do you convince the customer (or anyone ... language to specify conditions was more cumbersome to use and more ... Maybe you have to explain this reasoning in code ... That's what I think is one of the interesting visions is of Haskell ...
      (comp.lang.forth)
    • Re: So near and yet so far... its always the same with Microsoft
      ... IIS not having a built-in accounts for IUSR like "Network Service" ... components that can be tailored for a large customer base; ... domain-controller to synchronize user credentials, privileges, and ACLs on ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
    • Re: Change computername with MS Server 2003 Web Edition
      ... > I am absolutely glad that IIS does not do it the way you want. ... > You have just changed the IUSR/IWAM user accounts to the new computer name ... How the customer wants to do it is highly debatable. ... >> then you can rename the server to something else so that you can put it on ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.misc)
    • Re: Clustering IIS 6.0 using MSCS cluster on 2 Windows Server 2003
      ... MSCS with IIS and I had recommended the same to my customer. ... of some resources online where I could see how to achieve MSCS clustering ... MVP - Windows Server - Clustering ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering)
    • IIS 5.0 not handling links from Lotus Notes email
      ... I have an IIS 5.0 based website. ... When my customer with Lotus Notes R5 ... receives a plain-text email with a link ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)