RE: Anti-spyware Beta from Microsoft available

From: Shaffer, Bruce (BShaffer_at_PRAC.com)
Date: 01/10/05

    To: 'Focus-MS' <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:50:20 -0500

    I just installed the MS Antispyware tool with the default install, updated
    the signatures then ran the default scan. It came back with no spyware
    detected.

    I then brought up Spybot, updated his files and ran the default scan. He
    returned 5 registry keys, a pile of cookies and a browser hijack. Cleaned
    this up.

    Next I ran Adaware, updated files, etc. Adaware came back with 10 more
    cookies.

    The point I am trying to make here is that there is so much spyware out
    there and antispyware is so young and doesn't enjoy the information sharing
    between researchers that AV does, nothing will catch even 50% of known
    spyware.

    I read a review in the last couple of months that stated that there were
    approximately 29.5 million pieces of known spyware and of those, 5 million
    were programs. The number may be a little high, but if you think about it,
    there are about 100,000 known viruses and worms authored in the past 19
    years and none of these were commissioned by marketers. People get paid to
    write spyware so the 8 figure total is not unrealistic.

    If we had a program that could incorporate all of these signatures, would we
    be able to do daily or weekly scans? How about monthly?

    One thing I haven't seen anyone comment on yet is: does this drop its own
    spyware? Most of the $$ products do, Ad-aware and Spybot do not.

    For home machines I overlap my favorite two products, for enterprise, I use
    Spybot only. I would be leery of installing any "free for a time" software
    on the enterprise. What's going to happen when you don't get budget to
    purchase this next July? More $$ for the MS lawyers or a scramble for your
    techs to uninstall before someone notices you're using unlicensed software?

    Just my opinion.

    D. Bruce Shaffer, CISSP
    Information Security Engineer
    PRAC.COM