Re: Microsoft rights management server alternatives

From: Joshua Feek (jfeek_at_yahoo.com.au)
Date: 11/22/04

    Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:24:27 +0000 (GMT)
    To: Jimi Thompson <jimi.thompson@gmail.com>, "Thompson, Tichard" <tichard.thompson@pharma.com>

    Jimi,

    The purpose of most IRM software is not to stop
    malicious intent of people using tools like you
    described. All systems can be gotten around with
    enough intent. For most organisations this is a
    sackable or criminal/jailable act (depends on where
    you work). IRM and the like are to stop the accidents
    of forwarding to friends, friends forwarding to
    friends, those friends forwarding to the press for
    example and loosing control of some IP or information
    that ends up in the wrong hands and outside of your
    organisation. Yes you could even put your laptop on
    the photocopier also :-)

    At the end of the day it is a security policy not a
    security enforcement. It requires the author to define
    the importance of the document/email, not everything
    gets pretected.

    Josh

     --- Jimi Thompson <jimi.thompson@gmail.com> wrote:
    > The DRM stuff is all a seriously bad joke that's
    > been played out on
    > management. You still have to TRUST the people that
    > work there. If I
    > can display it on my screen, no matter what else
    > fails I can get my
    > nifty camera and take a photograph of the document
    > or whatever I'm not
    > supposed to be able to pass around. If I can play
    > it through my
    > speakers or headphones, I can whip out my trusty old
    > casette recorder
    > and tape it. Where's your DRM then? Neither of
    > these are
    > particularly high-tech approaches and are well
    > within the reach of the
    > average schmoe.
    >
    > Further more, if I have sufficient rights to open a
    > document, let say
    > that I copy and paste from the contents of your DRM
    > document into a
    > new document. How do you track the rights to that?
    > It's better to
    > be loyal to your employees so that they are loyal to
    > the company and
    > don't want to sell you out to begin with. More
    > software isn't going
    > to fix that.
    >
    > 2 cents,
    >

    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:06:11 -0500, Thompson,
    > Tichard
    > <tichard.thompson@pharma.com> wrote:
    > > Checkout LiquidMachines which is a stand alone
    > product and also
    > > works with an existing RMS infrastructure. Also
    > look at Authentica.
    > > Their solutions are a lot better as well as being
    > a lot more expensive.
    > >
    > > T.J CISSP

    Moving house? Beach bar in Thailand? New Wardrobe? Win 10k with Yahoo! Mail to make your dream a reality.
    Get Yahoo! Mail www.yahoo.co.uk/10k