RE: root_drv.sys rootkit

From: Dennis Dimka (dennis.dimka_at_manna.com)
Date: 11/08/04

    To: 'Llistes Diverses' <deixalles@gmail.com>, focus-ms@securityfocus.com
    Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:40:55 -0600

    Search for a reference to it in the registry, AND search for files
    containing the text "root_drv.sys".

    Once you've cleaned it, you should also run a port scan against this machine
    to find any other listening ports on that box (accomplished attackers will
    put more than one on a box, should the admin find one).

    And of course--your firewall should ONLY allow in port 80, and (if
    necessary) 21, 25, etc. Outbound connections should only be allowed if
    established--this severely limits what an attacker's rootkit can do when
    installed.