Remove "Shutdown" command from w2k PCs but enable restart

From: Houpt, Dani (dhoupt_at_ICBNY.COM)
Date: 10/28/04

    Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:48:36 -0400
    To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    We have a Windows 2000 AD environment and want to restrict our PC users
    from shutting off their PCs so we can send out OS/AV patches at night.
    We created a GPO to do this but it also blocks them from restarting.

    Many times, issues on PCs are resolved even before the users call the
    helpdesk by rebooting, so we don't want to remove that ability from
    them.

    Does anyone know a way that we can remove "Shutdown" while still allow
    "Restart"?

    I opened a case with MS about this and the rep said that he didn't
    think that it could be done.

    Thanks,
    -Dani
    INDEPENDENCE COMMUNITY BANK CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message
    (and any attachment) is confidential and
    intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are
    not the intended recipient, you must not review, retransmit, convert to hard-copy,
    copy, use or disseminate this email or any of its attachments. If you received this email
    in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it. This notice is automatically
    appended to all Internet email.

    • Re: Remove "Shutdown" command from w2k PCs but enable restart
      ... You could have the systems wake up using Wake On LAN this is built into ... >INDEPENDENCE COMMUNITY BANK CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: ... >not the intended recipient, you must not review, retransmit, convert to hard-copy, ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Solaris for PC
      ... I'm told that there exists solaris OS for PCs and I would like to try it. ... Is there any site where I can download it? ... If you are not the intended recipient, ...
      (SunManagers)