Re: Can we really block users from installing applications through Group policy?

From: vic brown (vabrown_at_mailer.fsu.edu)
Date: 10/08/04

    Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:43:56 -0500
    To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

    I've learned from experience that the more you try to lock down a
    windows box the higher your chance are of breaking functionality.
    Similar to using the NT4 policy of only allowing a list of specific
    applications to run, attempting to lock down a 2k or xp box in this
    manner will most likely create problems for you. In the worst case
    scenario you can attempt to create a sort of kiosk system. see:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/rstrplcy.mspx

    Harlan Carvey wrote:

    >>The users are not local administrators. We
    >>configure
    >>group policy to prevent user installs but it seems
    >>that it blocks only .msi packages. Users still can
    >>install applications through ex. setup.exe...Can we
    >>really block users from installing applications
    >>through Group policy?
    >>
    >>Any idea or thoughts on this?
    >

    > Sure. Disable access to the write to certain
    > locations of the hard drive. While some applications
    > require the ability to write to a temp directory, most
    > users shouldn't have write access to the system32
    > dir...read and execute usually suffice.
    >
    > First, though...some background. Do you have a policy
    > in place that states that users shall not install
    > software? If you do, the next step should be to put
    > technical measures in place to not only prevent it,
    > but monitor it. Monitoring can be done easily through
    > freeware and WMI.
    >

    >>Plus, if we need to block users from saving .mp3
    >>file
    >>on their computers, can we do it through group
    >>policy?
    >

    > Again, the first step should be a security policy.
    > Next, how do they download the .mp3s? If it's via
    > file sharing (or rather, pretty much any method other
    > than FTP, HTTP, or bringing in a CD), then there is
    > probably an *installed application* that they're
    > using. Also, there is very likely an *installed
    > application* they're using to play the .mp3s, right?
    >
    > You won't be able to completely prevent the download
    > of files to the local hard drive through ACLs...the
    > users still need some write access to the drive.
    > However, you *can* monitor this by simply using 'dir'.
    > Map a drive (x:\) and type the following command:
    >
    > c:\>dir /s x:\*.mp3
    >
    > If you want, you can follow this up with the judicious
    > use of 'del'.
    >
    > Hope that helps,
    >

    > =====
    >
    > "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for
    > you are crunchy, and good with ketchup."
    >
    > "The simplicity of this game amuses me.
    > Bring me your finest meats and cheeses."

         ___________ ___________
      __/           V           ;
    @  Vic Brown               |
    |  Comp Supp Spec          |
    |  FSU-Panama              |
      > vabrown@fsu.edu        <
    |  Phone: (507)-314-0367   |
    |  mailer.fsu.edu/~vabrown |
    @__________________________;

    • Re: Can we really block users from installing applications through Group policy?
      ... > group policy to prevent user installs but it seems ... > install applications through ex. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: block software installation
      ... Regular users may still be able to install some software, ... Applications list with at least install.exe, setup.exe, and command.com [feel free to ... Local Group Policy applies to all users equally including administrators so be sure ... to test out your lockdown so as to not lock yourself out completely to the point you ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: Terminal Server with SBS 2K3
      ... I am not sure how you configure your SBS fax, does the issue occur on every ... Do normal users try to install a network printer? ... Have you installed the Windows 2003 printer driver on ... |> "Prevent users from adding printers" group policy in the default domain ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Using SUS to deploy patches, how to hide Windows update icon
      ... all notifications to users and doing silent installs. ... There are certain pros and cons to using this policy setting, ... If you set AU configuration to 4 (scheduled install) in the AU policy, ... reboot, but will not be able to postpone the reboot. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: Possible security issue??
      ... I suppose that Group Policy could also be applying some file system ... unjoin your computer from the domain, reboot, and try to install the same ... I could only run it from the administrators (domain) ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)