RE: Items within XP SP2 and Win2003

From: Eric McCarty (eric_at_lawmpd.com)
Date: 09/28/04

    Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:44:11 -0700
    To: "Depp, Dennis M." <deppdm@ornl.gov>, <larobins@bellatlantic.net>, "Joe Doyle" <joe.doyle@promega.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Who doesn't have a border firewall? commonly its router - firewall -
    switch. So you propose to do address filtering on your host based
    firewall ?. I suggest rethinking this strategy as IP Address range
    blocking should be done at the border router or firewall long before any
    Network Translations are done or any traffic traverses the local
    network. I can imagine a plethora of ways to get around host based IP
    restrictions, can't get to server1, take over another machine on
    internal network, then get to server1 and likewise.

    Running a host based firewall will not allow an extra layer of security
    if its doing the same thing the border router/firewall is doing.

    In order to browse the internet from the server you will have to add a
    lot of sites to the trusted sites list, and once a site is considered
    trusted it's all over anyway.