Re: Items within XP SP2 and Win2003

From: kyle (kyle_at_inetconnection.com)
Date: 09/23/04

    To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:53:23 -0500

    Well, on the grand scheme of things, XP SP2 is far from secure. I know of a
    good many arbitrary code exploits that are easily utilized by a common
    webmaster. And the "firewall" is like a chain link fence for a privacy fence.
    IMO you were better off not "upgrading" to SP2 and sticking with SP1 until
    SP2 was fixed (released, but far from done, and def. not an upgrade)
    I'm sure M$ was better with 2003 considering it was supposed to be a SERVER
    edition, but then again you never know with M$.

    On Sunday 19 September 2004 09:11 pm, James Bowman wrote:
    > Is their a set of hotfixes needed for 2003 that make it comprable in
    > features / overall security posture to XP SP2?
    >
    > Although there's probably a bevy of XP SP2 items embedded in 2003, I would
    > imagine there's a bunch that's not...
    >
    > Thanks

    • Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 crashes
      ... I hope to be doing that in this summer, but dunno to which coast. ... >>> SP1 OEM installation and then upgrading it. ... >>> system to SP2 twice. ... >>> windows updates). ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: XP & SP2 Woes
      ... you cannot safely restore to a point before SP2 is installed. ... to preserve your files before upgrading to XP? ... I then made the mistake of installing ... > only option available is "Use broadband connection that is always on" (I ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: How to fix error in App Verifier log
      ... Additionally since the only version of the App Verifier that is available is ... Please try upgrading to XP SP2. ... Protected Overrides Sub OnStartAs String) ...
      (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.tools)
    • Re: sp2 again ??
      ... If you're not able to fix the problems on your system, there's really no point to upgrading, as it will likely make matters much worse. ... "Get Your PC Ready for Windows XP SP2" ... Diskeeper 2007 (defrag program) ... Grisoft's AVG antivirus ...
    • Re: Opening 3rd party programs in VB6
      ... recently started upgrading to Office 2003 SP2 from 2002, ... Anything newer than 2003 SP2 has not been tested by ... calling Word the next version of WordPad. ... I took part in a programing competition at my university ...