RE: XP-SP2 "Feature"

From: Jordan Wiseman (Jordan_Wiseman_at_Valleymed.org)
Date: 09/03/04

    Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 00:06:25 -0700
    To: "Aaron Drew" <ripper@internode.on.net>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Ping sweeps are often a routine scan for a script-kiddie/auto-hack tool.
    I was simply pointing out that for a novice user, unaware of the risks
    involved in connecting a computer directly to the internet, this forced
    setting could possibly make them more of a target without their
    knowledge. We have enough compromized home machines on "high-speed"
    networks; I don't think it was really responisble of Microsoft to make
    it easier for a host to be targeted in the name of conveiniance. I
    could see users enabling file and print sharing for their subnet and not
    realizing that it also forces their computer to respond to ICMP echo
    request from ANY subnet.

    All in all, if the system is up-to-date on VS/QFE's/Settings it might
    not be much of a risk...but is that a chance that should be taken
    blindly?

    Jordan