RE: XP-SP2 "Feature"

Matthew.van.Eerde_at_hbinc.com
Date: 09/02/04

    Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:06:15 -0700
    To: <Jordan_Wiseman@Valleymed.org>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Jordan Wiseman wrote:
    > The real uncomfortable thing here is for home users. Imagine someone
    > with a small network at home, enabling file and print sharing for their
    > local subnet and having the same machine (which could <shudder> be a
    > gateway using ICS) to smile and enable the machine to show up in ping
    > sweeps.

    Don't get overly down on ping. It's not really much of a vulnerability to "show up in a ping sweep". Ignoring ping requests is basically security through obscurity.

    Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com 805.964.4554 x902
    Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com Software Engineer
    perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"

    • RE: XP-SP2 "Feature"
      ... Ping sweeps are often a routine scan for a script-kiddie/auto-hack tool. ... exception for my local subnet, ... The real uncomfortable thing here is for home users. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • RE: XP-SP2 "Feature"
      ... this is because windows network printing uses an ICMP ping ... Incoming ICMP Echo Request" GLOBAL setting was forced on. ... The real uncomfortable thing here is for home users. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: XP Network doesnt allow new computer to access
      ... no other machines are visible in My Network Places. ... Then check the machine name is OK, and re-set the workgroup name to whatever ... You are then offered the choice to enable File and Print sharing. ... ping 192.168.0.x ...
    • Re: Problem adding laptop to existing home network