Re: MS binary integrity baseline

From: Sam Baskinger (sam_at_reefedge.com)
Date: 08/19/04

    Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:29:19 -0400
    To: Chris Conacher <chris_conacher@hotmail.com>

    Hi Chris,

    It's good practice to keep an up-to-date list of file hashes for any
    system you deploy. Before you deploy the system and after each upgrade
    you verify the hashes and take new ones if necessary.

    I acctually finished writing a script in python which does this on Linux
    and Win systems. If any are interested I'll happily post it to the list
    (160 lines in length) with the standard "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" disclaimer.

    Currently I'm using the script to keep a closer eye on my testing
    machines (The Win boxes) and I've deployed it on my laptop (the Linux
    machine).

    Again, this isn't hard at *all* and it is something you can EASILY
    re-program for your shop and put in a scheduled task. Python also gives
    you some flexability in reporting etc etc etc.

    Sam