Windows 2000 Administrator lockout

From: Robert Ritchey (rritchey_at_eods.com)
Date: 08/13/04

    To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:55:50 -0700

    Hello All,

    The network that I have is rather small. 1 server, and 4 workstations.
    I inherited the systems. There has been no administrator working there
    for a little over a year. What administrator that was there, was very
    much non-technical.

    When the network was built whoever built the server installed everything
    they possibly could. This system now how few main functions:
    1. File server
    2. Internet Gateway
    3. Symantec Virus manager

    Nobody knows any of the passwords for anything on the system. Any of
    the passwords that are in use are not allowed administrator access. I
    do mean for anything! I can't even get Symantec to update virus
    signatures, as I do not have a password to do the update with. The
    signature is like 2003 date.

    It is just very frustrating!

    I am looking for options, before I have to go and reformat and rebuild.
    This would in some ways make life simpler, there are wrinkles in that
    all of there operational data and other services are on the server. We
    are currently moving foreword with a plan to rebuild. This will happen;
    I would rather pick the time to do it. Rather than have it forced on
    me.

    Does anyone know of any other way to take control of this machine and
    network.

    Thanks for your time and any ideas will be appreciated.

    Robert Ritchey

    • Managing our complete company using Microsoft products
      ... Directory, Mail Server, File Server and Print Server. ... Directory and network, while the other one has 6 peer-to-peer Windows 2000 ... We do not have a system administrator, and we do not have the resources or ... who wrote this are doing all of their project management and enterprise ...
      (microsoft.public.project)
    • Managing our complete company using Microsoft products
      ... Directory, Mail Server, File Server and Print Server. ... Directory and network, while the other one has 6 peer-to-peer Windows 2000 ... We do not have a system administrator, and we do not have the resources or ... who wrote this are doing all of their project management and enterprise ...
      (microsoft.public.office.misc)
    • Re: Where are DC signatures stored in AD ? Can then be edited using adsiedit ?
      ... These entries ARE ONLY on DC1 (server with SAM Error) and have Names of ... Name: 'Administrator' ... Our live network at the time only had one 2000 ... signature for the first DC. ...
    • Re: pine
      ... >>> 'Can't do secure authentication with this server' ... >>If the server supports neither ssl, ... > and sniffing your passwords. ... > when they have access to the network between your ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Mapping a Network Drive in XP Results in asking for login cred
      ... If they are not in the office, then they open a VPN session to the server. ... Noone has changed their passwords at all, and I've been combing over the ... Recently an issue arose that occurs when mapping a network drive. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)