RE: most avtive attack type

From: first last (in5ecure24_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/14/04

    To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com
    Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 04:41:39 -0400

    Thank you to everyone who replyed, it was very much apricated. I didnt know
    bout the sans top 20 but ill be keeping an eye on that site. Thanks again
    everyone

    >From: "Aaron Lewis" <aaron@adldatacomm.net>
    >To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
    >CC: <macleonard@softhome.net>
    >Subject: RE: most avtive attack type
    >Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:28:18 -0400
    >
    >Agreed. I would say most email viruses / worms enter a system due to a user
    >who is so curious they have to open it. Educating the users and having them
    >understand the problem and the solutions is very key in maintaining a sound
    >environment. Blocking some outgoing traffic of well known threats at the
    >border device can help too.
    >
    >I know Admins at the local government level who don't run AV or patch their
    >systems because they have a firewall and they think nothing can get to
    >them.
    >The worst part is the Admin doesn't know anything about networking and the
    >firewall setup was outsourced and hasn't been touched since install.
    >
    >Yes I said government
    >ADL

    • Re: Dynamic Firewall/IDS System
      ... > (firewall, IDS, etc.) and reacting appropriately could be a good thing. ... > I don't think this is a description of snort. ... the network guys from the colo -- that they get or got attacked. ... we deploy packet filter log rules that indicate the attack. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Neither, buy a router.
      ... router for a home network? ... Would I still need a software firewall too? ... broadband-capable Virtual Private Network firewall is a true ... spoofing, land attack, tear drop attack, IP address sweep attack, Win Nuke ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Can I protect myself against network attacks?
      ... > I guess that was one purpose of the attack. ... > had happened if you just used the SP2 firewall which does not warn you ... back, I've seen the firewall crash before my eyes, without warning. ... network attacks, or trojans. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: What does a firewall do?
      ... [cutting away lots of interesting stuff on AdaOS] ... > my question is, in essence, is there a form of attack that can be launched ... > arrangements) be preventable by using a firewall? ... is especially true if you consider the system to act as a network ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • RE: can ping but not browse
      ... I have stopped the firewall. ... # are safed from all (security) hazards. ... firewall/bastion host to the internet ... # internet and to an internal network, ...
      (Fedora)