Re: Proxy Server/ISA

From: Kevin Saenz (ksaenz_at_spinaweb.com.au)
Date: 07/27/04

    Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:12:47 +1000
    To: "Pidgorny, Slav" <slav.pidgorny@anz.com>

    Also remember that this is the second level rating for a firewall look
    at the apps it's in league with. (Really something you wouldn't place
    too much reliance on) I would be inclined to have more trust in a higher
    grade product something rated EAL4.

    http://www.dsd.gov.au/infosec/evaluation_services/epl/epl.html

    >How about military grade security?
    >
    >ISA Server 2000 (with SP and FP) is on the Australian Defence Signals Direcorate cetified products list. Further information, security target and evaluation report please find at
    >
    >http://www.dsd.gov.au/infosec/evaluation_services/epl/network_security/Microsoft_ISAServer2000Firewall.html
    >
    >This is Common Criteria EAL 2 certification. ISA Server 2004 is much better :)
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Slav

    • Logical Disk Manager fails to start
      ... with Office, where I either couldn't get apps to start at all, or ... indicated that the LDM remote tool was being blocked by the firewall, ... "Server execution failed" message every time I try to launch LDM. ... Event Source: DCOM ...
    • Re: Kaspersky anti-virus undermines firewall
      ... some rule in the personal firewall, and hey presto, when such and such an app tries to make an outbound connection the firewall detects it. ... I guess there are degrees (some apps might not be considered malicious, more privacy infringing, and I'd still want to be able to prevent their constant dial-homes), ... is what it comes down to - AVs, firewalls, etc all play a part in prevention, but since it's not guaranteed one has to have detection. ... the granularity of control is either all applications or none; if I want to allow, say, smtp from one particular application I have to allow it for all. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: AVG Anti-virus and ZoneAlarms
      ... security other than XP firewall and the firewall on my router. ... Note that these assessments are for AV apps for home/SOHO/personal use. ... This is from the camp that subscribes to the belief that a software solution (a PFW) is important. ... This camp subscribes to the philosophy that things like stealth, outbound protection, port blocking. ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • How can I capture the TCP/IP traffic?
      ... Download the "Free" Personal firewall. ... Then open apps. ... Those would have "Act as Client" and Act as Server" ... alot of ports open making your system open to hackers. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • secure home network with entertainment center/filesharing
      ... use apps called "SAVE"/Gain (claims that it's not a spyware but what else ... my data including a ripped mp3 collection of all my CD's. ... I set up a software firewall on computer 1, encrypted all the sensitive data ...
      (Security-Basics)