Windows Update v5 and XPSP2RC2

From: fIrestOrm (dskw_86_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 07/18/04

    Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 01:29:58 -0700 (PDT)
    To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

    Hi all,
    I just recently accessed the windows update website
    and was prompted to install additional software in
    order for my XP system to utilize v5 of WindowsUpdate.
    After I installed it, it automatically started
    downloading XP-SP2-RC2. I couldn't cancel the download
    as it was deemed a 'Critical Update'. Now, SP2RC2 is
    already residing on my system, and since I have no
    wish to install a beta software, how do I tell
    WindowsUpdate that i do not wish to update the
    downloaded file?
    On a related note, where does WindowsUpdate save the
    downloaded file? I would like to send the file over to
    my friend who is interested in SP2RC2 but he has no
    Internet access. If I can find the file, I would like
    to burn a copy on CD for him.
    Thanks in advance for any input given!

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    • Re: cant install Windows Installer 3.1
      ... Eventually the other two did install, ... Download Download succeeded. ... [ClientId = WindowsUpdate] ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Windows Update on Server 2K3
      ... Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows Server 2003 ... [ClientId = WindowsUpdate] ... Install ... due to regulation. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Problem with KB890859 update...
      ... add/remove programs, and in the C:\WINDOWS folder, but Windows AutoUpdate wants to install it ... wants to install on every boot, but now it FAILS every time. ... download. ... CClientCallRecorder::BeginFindUpdates from WindowsUpdate with call ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • RE: Error Code 0x80070057 Failed due to previous hr=80070057
      ... that need to happen and they all download fine but will not install. ... I ran 9 updates instead of 99 and those worked fine then ... Search [ClientId = WindowsUpdate] ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: Error 643 after attempting Windows Update
      ... KB929729 detected as being needed on the Windows Update site or did you decide to download and install it on your own volition? ... The update that failed from windows update site was Microsoft. ... Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, ... | [ClientId = WindowsUpdate] ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)