Windows Update v5 and XPSP2RC2

From: fIrestOrm (dskw_86_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 07/18/04

    Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 01:29:58 -0700 (PDT)
    To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

    Hi all,
    I just recently accessed the windows update website
    and was prompted to install additional software in
    order for my XP system to utilize v5 of WindowsUpdate.
    After I installed it, it automatically started
    downloading XP-SP2-RC2. I couldn't cancel the download
    as it was deemed a 'Critical Update'. Now, SP2RC2 is
    already residing on my system, and since I have no
    wish to install a beta software, how do I tell
    WindowsUpdate that i do not wish to update the
    downloaded file?
    On a related note, where does WindowsUpdate save the
    downloaded file? I would like to send the file over to
    my friend who is interested in SP2RC2 but he has no
    Internet access. If I can find the file, I would like
    to burn a copy on CD for him.
    Thanks in advance for any input given!

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    • Re: cant install Windows Installer 3.1
      ... Eventually the other two did install, ... Download Download succeeded. ... [ClientId = WindowsUpdate] ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Windows Update on Server 2K3
      ... Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows Server 2003 ... [ClientId = WindowsUpdate] ... Install ... due to regulation. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • RE: Error Code 0x80070057 Failed due to previous hr=80070057
      ... that need to happen and they all download fine but will not install. ... I ran 9 updates instead of 99 and those worked fine then ... Search [ClientId = WindowsUpdate] ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Problem with KB890859 update...
      ... add/remove programs, and in the C:\WINDOWS folder, but Windows AutoUpdate wants to install it ... wants to install on every boot, but now it FAILS every time. ... download. ... CClientCallRecorder::BeginFindUpdates from WindowsUpdate with call ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Cannot update manually or automatically
      ... Now it fails when it tries to install, and says over again that I have new ... With Automatic Updates turned off, I can't use the Windows Update page. ... [ClientId = WindowsUpdate] ... [CallerId = WindowsUpdate] ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)