Re: supressing IE

From: Danny (nocmonkey_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/05/04

    Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 17:47:42 -0400
    To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

    If you went any further to disable IE, I would be concerned with the following:

    1) Microsoft would no longer support the OS if something went wrong.
    2) You would decrease reliability/stability.
    3) Windows Explorer *is* Internet Explorer, as you will notice when
    you type in an Internet URL in the address bar of Windows Explorer.

    Instead, consider the following:

    1) If you are running an Active Directory domain, consider forcing
    (through Group Policy) the proxy server settings in IE to an RFC 1918
    IP address on your network which does not have proxy capabilities.

    2) AdCruncher
    http://mysite.verizon.net/~mr_fish/AdCruncher/ReadMe.html

    3) A proxy for HTTP traffic and block the nasty stuff.

    4) http://www.qwik-fix.net/

    5) SpywareBlaster

    Lots of options...

    Danny

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:26:36 -0700, Zachary Mutrux
    <zmutrux@compumentor.org> wrote:

    • Re: Laptop takes long time to open the applications if not on Doma
      ... I was focusing on Windows Explorer. ... With Internet Explorer it may be caused by Proxy Settings or by the browser ... Mapped drives are bad ...
    • Re: Laptop takes long time to open the applications if not on Doma
      ... The problems with Windows Explorer (mapped drives) and Internet Explorer are ... With Internet Explorer it may be caused by Proxy Settings or by the browser ...
    • Re: Workaround for error code 80072EFD download critical updates failed
      ... Explorer on clients that have proxy servers, and must be set directly at the ... Open a single Internet Explorer browser and check proxy settings. ... Remember the name and port of this proxy server. ... Enter "Windows Update" in the Name field, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • RE: ACCESS RESTRICTION
      ... I understand that you want to disable access to Internet Explorer to some ... wish to limit internet access for or edit an existing group policy object. ... Enter a non existent Proxy address and disable changing the proxy address. ... Maintenance -> Proxy settings -> Enter an invalid IP address as the address ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup)
    • Re: Windows Update via Proxy
      ... did not care which proxy you were going out of. ... settings from Internet Explorer on clients that have proxy servers, ... Remember the name and port of this proxy server. ... Enter "Windows Update" in the Name field, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)