RE: Consumer Security Web Site

From: Mike (mike_at_superiorholidayadventures.ca)
Date: 06/28/04

    Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:17:47 -0400
    To: "Jan Ver Eecke" <JanVerEecke@mcgcapital.com>, "David Harper" <david.harper@thermon.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Precisely, that's how I have my website set up. I have the necessary
    information so that if you have a little bit of computer experience (can
    search Google and download and install programs and figure out how to
    use such programs), but if not, my clients can always call on me to help
    them out. Keeping updated information on, for example WEP, can prove to
    be time consuming. If you're too detailed, you may end up getting
    e-mails asking how to setup a specific device from a specific
    manufacturer... etc etc.

    Mike.

    Duping
    > being a major key. But I think this could be something where you would
    say
    > for wireless "Understand that using the standard items and setups that
    > come with most wireless equipment, people who have a mal intent can
    enter
    > and gain access. They can read transmission and personal data. So be
    aware
    > of what you are sending out." This is opposed to how to setup a proper
    > encryption system and creating a key rotation system.

    Identity
    > > Theft,
    > > Cyberstalking, Hacking, Spyware and Adware. Each section is to
    cover
    > the
    > > basics (what it is, how to remove/prevent it, etc.) in a
    > non-technical,
    > > friendly-to-the-average-home-user way. I'll also include links to
    > sites
    > > like Windows Update and other free tools, with a strong admonition
    > that
    > > their computer be checked and patched - now.
    > >
    > > I'd like to get input from the list on any other sections to include
    > on
    > > the
    > > web site. What do you see as the most glaring gaps in end-user
    > knowledge?
    > > What information, tools, links, etc., would best enable them to
    secure
    > > their
    > > systems easily against the most common threats? Also, I'm gearing
    > this
    > > toward Microsoft simply because 1) Microsoft runs the vast majority
    of
    > > home/small-office computers, 2) Those using Linux are already pretty
    > > computer savvy, and this site is for the novice. Should I expand
    the
    > > focus?
    > > Include MACs? What about the buzz on cell phone viruses? Should
    cell
    > > phone
    > > security and privacy issues be included, as well?
    > >
    > > Please keep in mind that this site is for the novice, so
    explanations
    > of
    > > elliptical curve cryptography probably won't fly. I just want to
    make
    > it
    > > as
    > > easy as possible for the non-technical user to stay up to date.
    > >
    > > Your input is greatly appreciated!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > David

    > --
    > > -

    > --
    > > -

    > -

    > -

    • RE: Wireless Security
      ... How about asking the provider of the free access to look at setting up WPA? ... wireless router- unless you setup a vpn to your office perhaps. ... Subject: Wireless Security ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Driving me insane
      ... The wireless is already setup with no security and it works. ... If you google this problem you will ...
    • Re: A home computer is a forensic evidence room
      ... A security plan that first covers recovery, and data protection is key. ... Anyone within range of your wireless transmission could connect to your network and use it or capture your computing sessions. ... reset the wireless router to factory: press and hold reset 20 seconds. ...
      (alt.2600)
    • Re: Two wireless routers one network
      ... neighborhood kids trying to use my wireless than from any books or web ... I don't expect my customers to ... My level of security and paranoia largely depends on the risks and ... >>I notice you didn't say anything about my comments about monitoring ...
      (alt.internet.wireless)
    • Re: Wi-Fi question
      ... Wireless internet has been a security hole from day one. ... Both sides must have the same WEP key, which is usually a total of 64 ... The Auditor security collection is a GPL-licensed live CD based on ...
      (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)