Re: Consumer Security Web Site

From: Gene Cronk (gcronk_at_trsg.net)
Date: 06/28/04

    Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:52:24 -0400
    To: David Harper <david.harper@thermon.com>

    Perhaps a mention that CERT is recommending people not use IE?

    http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/323070
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/28/cert_ditch_explorer/

    Instructions on downloading FireFox or Mozilla, and installing the flash
    and Java plugins for those OSes would be a bonus. Using either the
    Mozilla mail client or Thuderbird would be a recommendation here, as
    well, since they both have built-in spam filtering capabilities.

    In addition to spam, perhaps some info on urban ledgends...

    Not so much a security related issue, but could save them headaches down
    the road....Instructions on clearing out cookies and cache would
    probably be helpful as well.

    HTH

    --
    Gene Cronk - CISSP, NSA-IAM (gcronk@trsg.net)
    The Robin Shepherd Group -- Systems Administrator
    David Harper wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I'm putting together a web site for home and small office computer users to
    > address computer and small network security.  I'm hoping to eventually have
    > a one-stop site where non-technical consumers can get all the information
    > they need to protect their home and small office systems.
    >
    > So far I'm planning sections on Viruses/Worms/Trojans, Spam, Identity Theft,
    > Cyberstalking, Hacking, Spyware and Adware.  Each section is to cover the
    > basics (what it is, how to remove/prevent it, etc.) in a non-technical,
    > friendly-to-the-average-home-user way.  I'll also include links to sites
    > like Windows Update and other free tools, with a strong admonition that
    > their computer be checked and patched - now.
    >
    > I'd like to get input from the list on any other sections to include on the
    > web site.  What do you see as the most glaring gaps in end-user knowledge?
    > What information, tools, links, etc., would best enable them to secure their
    > systems easily against the most common threats?  Also, I'm gearing this
    > toward Microsoft simply because 1) Microsoft runs the vast majority of
    > home/small-office computers, 2) Those using Linux are already pretty
    > computer savvy, and this site is for the novice.  Should I expand the focus?
    > Include MACs?  What about the buzz on cell phone viruses?  Should cell phone
    > security and privacy issues be included, as well?
    >
    > Please keep in mind that this site is for the novice, so explanations of
    > elliptical curve cryptography probably won't fly.  I just want to make it as
    > easy as possible for the non-technical user to stay up to date.
    >
    > Your input is greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David

    • Re: Web Sites
      ... Could be your image files are a bit large. ... link to the village web site and our email do work. ... I have looked on the IE7 site and found it could ... My agent string is Mozilla, ...
      (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
    • Request for help in tracking down a bug in X or hardware.
      ... I have an S3 Savage video card. ... I have a strange problem in web browsers that use the Mozilla, ... web site, namely www.theregister.co.uk, and not always even ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Best browser for OS 9.2
      ... I'm visiting my folks and am using a computer that I'm not ... mfgr's web site. ... Mozilla 1.2.1 or Mozilla/Wamcom 1.3.1. ... growing in popularity. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.comm)
    • Re: Web Sites
      ... I see your site and the pages here ok but they do load a ... bit slow and I'm on DSL. ... link to the village web site and our email do work. ... My agent string is Mozilla, ...
      (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
    • Re: How do I answer a question using the subject line only?
      ... I'll bet that somewhere, someone, or something (publication - web site), is ... recommending this type of post. ... "Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message ...
      (microsoft.public.excel.misc)