Re: Doubleclick programs entry on start menu

From: Matt Mercer (mattm_at_pyramidcorporation.com)
Date: 06/14/04

    To: "James D. Stallard" <james@leafgrove.com>
    Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:46:43 -0600

    James,

    The group policy for users running a specific app on our W2K terminal
    server is set to redirect the Start menu to a local share called
    \\servername\usergroup_start$. Double-clicking on their "Programs"
    folder will only give them a list of what they can already see, and the
    ability to navigate up to visible shares on the server or to the Network
    Neighborhood (undesirable but seemingly harmless with the draconian
    policies in place).

    In concert with additional policy restrictions (say, to prevent users
    from punching C: into the address bar present upon double-clicking),
    this keeps anyone from fooling around in the server's directories.

    I hope this technique can help you out!

    -matt

    <snip>
    > Eveything works fine BUT we discovered that when a user opens his START menu
    > and he/she doubleclicks on "Programs" the windows explorer opens
    > M:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Start Menu\Programs. From that point
    > the user can navigate up to the systemroot.
    </snip>

    • Re: Folder redirection not working
      ... Group policy processing ... This is the IP configuration for the server. ... The policy you created to redirect the folders should show as applied under ... setup folder redirection using group policy. ...
    • Re: GPO force Redirect of folders on 2003 Term Server
      ... In active directory on my Win2k server, I have setup a GP on OU called TS Group Policy that is supposed to redirect users desktop, limit them from shutting down server, show an active desktop, etc when they log into the TS. ... you have Group Policy settings specified that are under the "User Configuration" node of the Group Policy Editor. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
    • Folder Redirection and roaming Profiles issue
      ... I had set up some users with Roaming profiles via their profile tab in ADU&C. ... I had used a Group Policy to Redirect their My Docs and Desktop to a folder ... I did a server update a few months back, but as I cam across this and it was ... Is this a setting in the group policy I didn't set? ...
    • RE: SBS 2003 "My Documents" redirection failure
      ... you can use the following method to direct the remote folder back to local. ... If the Group Policy is still being applied, ... To redirect special folders to the local profile location ... Open Server Management. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Folder Redirection after new server
      ... > We are having a problem with folder redirection via a group policy. ... > We used the group policy to redirect the my documents to the server ... > synchronise offline folders to the old location. ...