Re: Workstation service deletes itself??

From: Harlan Carvey (keydet89_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/24/04

    Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
    To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

    Yasin,

    I doubt that the Workstation service has deleted
    itself. Have you checked under the Services key in the
    Registry to see if it's still there?

    You said, "i do some tricks to stop virus and hacker
    attacks.", and provided a list of closed services, but
    not much else. Maybe some of these other "tricks" you
    did had something to do with what you're experiencing.
     However, without a detailed understanding of what
    you've done, we won't be able to tell.

    --- Yasin AYDIN <iasein@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I'm new here. I am in a university campus and have
    > an ip in the network.
    > After installing a new windows to my machine, before
    > plugging the LAN cable,
    > i do some tricks to stop virus and hacker attacks.
    > Some of them shown below, with the windows version
    > on top:
    >
    > WindowsXP English ServicePack1 +wu
    > (build,2600,xpsp2,030422-1633)
    >
    > closed services
    > ----------------------
    > DNS client
    > Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
    > Application Layer Gateway Service (ALG)
    > Distributed Link Tracking Client (trackworks)
    > Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC)
    > Error Reporting Service
    > Fast User Switching Compatibility
    > Indexing Service
    > IPSEC Services
    > Machine Debug Manager
    > Protected Storage
    > Remote Registry
    > Routing and Remote Access
    > Secondary Logon
    > System Restore Service
    > SSDP Discovery Service
    > TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (LMHOSTS)
    > Telnet
    > Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    > Upload Manager
    > WebClient
    > Windows Time
    > Wireless Zero Configuration
    >
    > and i use Norton Antivirus 2003
    > i also use ZoneAlarm Pro (4,5,594), ((close
    > NETBIOS,PING,IGMP,ICMP))
    >
    > but after a number of reboot (daily home usage),
    > when i look at the
    > services(.msc), i see the workstation service is no
    > more existing.
    >
    > why is that? could it be a new windows update that
    > closes(or renames) it??

    • RE: Workstation service deletes itself??
      ... I'm not sure but check the drawbacks of stopping TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper ... Subject: Workstation service deletes itself?? ... > After installing a new windows to my machine, ... > Remote Registry ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: Check remotely whether TS is in remote administration or application mode
      ... One thing you can try is to check with remote registry. ... I don't have a windows 200 machine, I can't verify exactly what registry key it is, but in Windows 2008, it is ... configured in remote administration mode or application mode? ...
    • NewestShareware.com Issue #89
      ... FileBoss for Windows ... Program Homepage/Download url ... In general users make a program execute at window startup by ... Adding programs to the Registry and WIN.INI file protects the program. ...
      (comp.software.shareware.announce)
    • Re: Windows XP home login/off
      ... How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP ... Click on How To Run a Repair Install ... registry has worked the 5 or 6 times I have seen this problem. ... The script will stop and ask you to hit enter to continue to load SCSI ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.wmi)
    • RE: Networking and DOS attacks
      ... Windows has found 55 Critical System Errors... ... Install Repair Registry Pro. ... I have tracked all of these UDP port hits since 2001. ...
      (Security-Basics)