Workstation service deletes itself??

From: Yasin AYDIN (iasein_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 05/24/04

    To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 03:12:34 +0300

    I'm new here. I am in a university campus and have an ip in the network.
    After installing a new windows to my machine, before plugging the LAN cable,
    i do some tricks to stop virus and hacker attacks.
    Some of them shown below, with the windows version on top:

    WindowsXP English ServicePack1 +wu (build,2600,xpsp2,030422-1633)

    closed services
    ----------------------
    DNS client
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
    Application Layer Gateway Service (ALG)
    Distributed Link Tracking Client (trackworks)
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC)
    Error Reporting Service
    Fast User Switching Compatibility
    Indexing Service
    IPSEC Services
    Machine Debug Manager
    Protected Storage
    Remote Registry
    Routing and Remote Access
    Secondary Logon
    System Restore Service
    SSDP Discovery Service
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (LMHOSTS)
    Telnet
    Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    Upload Manager
    WebClient
    Windows Time
    Wireless Zero Configuration

    and i use Norton Antivirus 2003
    i also use ZoneAlarm Pro (4,5,594), ((close NETBIOS,PING,IGMP,ICMP))

    but after a number of reboot (daily home usage), when i look at the
    services(.msc), i see the workstation service is no more existing.

    why is that? could it be a new windows update that closes(or renames) it??

    • RE: Workstation service deletes itself??
      ... detailed response. ... After installing a new windows to my machine, before plugging the LAN cable, ... Distributed Link Tracking Client ... Remote Registry ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: "Remote Registry" Service corrupt?
      ... Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. ... Microsoft MVP [Windows] ... | the remote registry service not working correctly so I thought I would ... | if the remote registry service is running ok. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
    • Re: Unwanted log off
      ... Just putting the Windows XP ... Rick Rogers, ... Remote Registry from another computer that is connected to the troubled ... I can't get into the troubled computer how do I do that? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Unwanted log off
      ... Windows help - www.rickrogers.org ... > Remote Registry from another computer that is connected to the troubled ... > I can't get into the troubled computer how do I do that? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Remote Registry Error on XP
      ... the remote registry on a windows XP computer. ... (Notice the highlighted packet in blue) ... If I am connecting to the registry on a windows2k ...