RE: Relative Security Provided by Cached Domain Credentials?

From: Kevan Smith (Kevan.Smith_at_tideworks.com)
Date: 05/11/04

    Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:46:59 -0700
    To: "Nicolas RUFF (lists)" <ruff.lists@edelweb.fr>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    We're testing the completeness of my understanding of Win2K3 PKIs, so
    feel free to correct me, but as I understand it the situation isn't
    quite as dire as Nicolas makes it sound.

    True, EFS certificates (indeed, all user certificates) are stored either
    in the users profile (locally on the client computer) or on a smartcard,
    depending your implementation. With certs stored in your user profile,
    the private key portion of the cert is stored locally on the client
    computer, and possibly archived on the issuing CA *. These certs are
    NOT available (to anyone) from other computers unless the user first
    exports/imports his/her certificate to all his/her workstations.

    So, even if an attacker cracks a user's password, he/she will still need
    the certificate to access the EFS encrypted files, which requires that
    they launch the attack while logged on locally to the victim's
    computer(s). Granted, it may be possible to drop a remote control
    backdoor on the box to log on undetected, or do any number of other
    nasty things to achieve the same effect, but it certainly raises the
    bar.

    While AEFSDR (or similar tools) looks like a handy addition to any
    administrators grab-bag, it doesn't lift any hurdles facing a hacker.

    If the EFS encrypted data is important enough (or the user hops
    workstations enough), you can remove the user's profile from the picture
    by requiring smart cards for EFS. The key pairs are stored on the card
    rather than the computer, allowing users to roam, and forcing the
    attacker to acquire both the username/password to logon to the computer,
    and the smart card/PIN to access the files.

    Cheers,

    Kevan S.

    * Private/Public key pairs may be archived to the CA under the
    following circumstances:
            - V2 certificate (V1 certificates cannot be archived)
            - Issued FROM a Windows 2003 Enterprise or DataCenter edition CA

                    (not Standard Ed)
            - Issued TO a user (as opposed to a computer)
            - Issued FOR encryption/authentication purposes (not signing/
                    non-repudiation).
            - Client certificate must be stored in the user profile. You
    cannot
                    archive certificates issued to a smart card.