Preventing OS Detection

From: Paul Kurczaba (paul_at_myipis.com)
Date: 02/20/04

    To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:28:52 -0500

    If I go to http://uptime.netcraft.com and enter my website, Netcraft will
    display my web servers OS, determined from the TCP/IP packet. Is there a way
    in the windows registry to prevent Netcraft (or anyone else) from
    identifying my OS? On the page http://www.webhostgear.com/36,1.html in
    paragraph titled "Netcraft is Watching", it briefly describes that registry
    changes can be made. Can someone please give me some specific registry
    changes to prevent others from identifying my web servers OS?

    Thanks,
    Paul Kurczaba

    Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

    Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
    integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

    Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
    - Wireless security.

    Download 30-day evaluation at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_focus-ms_040219