RE: PPTP versus L2TP and possible attacks

From: Laura A. Robinson (larobins_at_bellatlantic.net)
Date: 02/16/04

    To: "'Zachary Mutrux'" <zmutrux@compumentor.org>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:17:23 -0500

    Microsoft's implementation of L2TP does not *require* the use of
    certificates. The default policy does, but technically, one does not have to
    use certificate-based IPSec for L2TP. With that said, it's a better idea to
    do so.

    Laura

    Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

    Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
    integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

    Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
    - Wireless security.

    Download 30-day evaluation at:
    http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php

    • RE: PPTP versus L2TP and possible attacks - what next?
      ... PPTP versus L2TP and possible attacks ... Watch the security week webcast with Jesper Johannson ... www.microsoft.com/webcasts and he talks about the truth/hype of PPtP. ... Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: XP SP2 VPN and Home Edition
      ... L2TP VPNs need TCP/UDP ... a L2TP security policy when it stated up. ... If I turn on a policy at the RRAS server, ...
    • Re: PPTP versus L2TP and possible attacks
      ... Which is the better tunnelling protocol in terms of security and ... > functionality, L2TP or PPTP, and why? ... L2TP is superior simply because there have been a few papers written ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • L2TP problem although IPSec is working using certifiactes
      ... I managed to create VPN connection between two w2k machines using PPTP. ... When I try to use L2TP I got this message on VPN client machine (this ... 789 "The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer ... The point is I have installed proper certificates and I ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
    • Re: Has anyone got Win2K RRAS <-> XP Pre-Shared Keys to work through VPN?
      ... is not hard to set up a Certificate Authority to issue computer certificates ... of setting up a CA to issue ipsec certificates for l2tp. ... Other considerations are that l2tp will not work if NAT is used in the VPN ... be opened on firewalls in the path to the VPN server. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)