RE: local admin account password

From: Sergey V. Gordeychik (gordey_at_infosec.ru)
Date: 11/28/03

    Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:11:43 +0300
    To: "Michael Marziani" <marziani@oasis.com>, "Eli Allen" <eallen@bcpl.net>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Some time ago I spend much time trying to protect Windows from local
    administrator and offline tools like CIA commander and NTPasswd.
    The only way I know - is a physically protect desktops or use diskless
    computers with terminals.
    An article about local administrator here:
    http://www.security.nnov.ru/articles/war/

    Thanks to 3APA3A for hosting.

    And as usual - sorry for my English.

    • Re: The importance of Securing Your Home Computer
      ... because - as Sebastian had already ... XP box IS AND ADMINISTRATOR? ... And this is any better if you are using a personal firewall? ... and protect Windows from its administrator and that no personal firewall ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Password reset
      ... as the username and NTpasswd for the password. ... panel-> User Accounts and it won't allow me to reset the password there. ... have forgotten the administrator password. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Password reset
      ... the username and NTpasswd for the password. ... I then tried logging in as the Limited User and went to control panel-> User Accounts and it won't allow me to reset the password there. ... have forgotten the administrator password. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Forgotten Password
      ... you don't have the classic logon box already), ... Type in Administrator and the password. ... If you are really using the built-in Administrator account and not just ... NTpasswd to change the Administrator password to a blank. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Password reset
      ... Ok If I understood you correctly I went to safe mode put in Administrator as ... the username and NTpasswd for the password. ... Accounts and it won't allow me to reset the password there. ... boot the computer into Safe Mode. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)