Hiding MS SQL databases in Enterprise Manager

From: Chris Ess (securityfocus_at_cae.tokimi.net)
Date: 11/17/03

    Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:21:55 -0500 (EST)
    To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

    I figure there has to be a way to do this. Unfortunately, I've been
    unable to turn up anything on google, so...

    When I create a database in the Microsoft SQL Server, it shows up under
    'Databases' in Enterprise Manager for any user who logs in, whether or not
    they have permissions to access it. Since this could potentially be a
    security issue, I would like to set it up so that users can only see
    databases for which they've been assigned a role.

    The SQL server uses mixed-mode authentication and cannot be changed.

    The server in question is currently Microsoft SQL Server 7, but any advice
    or pointers for Microsoft SQL Server 2000 would be appreciated as well.

    Sincerely,

    Chris Ess
    System Administrator / CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

    Network with over 10,000 of the brightest minds in information security
    at the largest, most highly-anticipated industry event of the year.
    Don't miss RSA Conference 2004! Choose from over 200 class sessions and
    see demos from more than 250 industry vendors. If your job touches
    security, you need to be here. Learn more or register at
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/RSA_focus-ms_031027
    and use priority code SF4.

    • Re: Migration to Postgres
      ... There are, as Albert pointed out, differences in the way different databases ... Microsoft SQL Server uses ... Larry Linson ... > end but I do refer to table data from Access VBA. ...
      (comp.databases.ms-access)
    • RE: Hiding MS SQL databases in Enterprise Manager
      ... Enterprise Manager uses the SA ... Hiding MS SQL databases in Enterprise Manager ... The server in question is currently Microsoft SQL Server 7, ... Network with over 10,000 of the brightest minds in information security ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • SQL Server 2005 management studio running slowly
      ... We are using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP2 on a dual quad core machine ... management studio would ... take over 2 minutes to display any properties page of the databases. ... is currently now the syncronised mirrored instance. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
    • Re: MS Access rated Number 3
      ... Microsoft SQL Server is still ... and Reporting Study, ... All other databases had ...
      (comp.databases.ms-access)