Re: question re: continued RPC vulnerability

From: Kurt Seifried (
Date: 10/16/03

    To: "E. Jimmy Allotey" <>, "'Zachary Mutrux'" <>, <>
    Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:03:34 -0600

    > Check out this link from Microsoft...
    > Has patches for the Messenger Service RPC Hole
    > ity/bulletin/MS03-043.asp
    > Also check out this link from ISS

    This still leaves systems vulnerable to a new RPC hole (labled
    CAN-2003-0813). Exploit code for this flaw is publicly available and can be
    used to cause a denial of service attack. I have not yet seen exploit code
    that can cause code execution, but it may be possible (and I don't think
    anyone would be terribly shocked). In any event there are more holes lurking
    in MS RPC, people would do well to implement as many of the
    workaround/mitigation strategies as possible.

    Kurt Seifried,
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574

    FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

    Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
    Learn how Solsoft can help you:
    - Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
    - Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
    - Quickly respond to network events from a central console

    Download our FREE whitepaper at: