RE: IPsec vs any personal software firewall

From: Combs, Christopher (Christopher) (ccombs_at_avaya.com)
Date: 09/29/03

    Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:40:27 -0600
    To: "Kamran  Muzaffer" <kmahmed@cyber.net.pk>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Here are the differences in using IPSec or a personal firewall like Kerio Personal Firewall (Which I prefer)

    IPSec is controllable by policies and has no user intervention. Once the IPSec policy is assigned, that is it. And yes, it does perform very well with little to no effect on performance.

    A personal Firewall allows you to choose your filter options based on the incoming traffic. For locking systems down, I use IPSec. For personal workstations, I use a personal firewall.

    Hope this helps.

    Christopher J. Combs
    Avaya Tier 3 Convergence Engineer
    AIM ID - cjintier3