RE: Security for Win XP Home

From: Mike Stewart (mikestew_at_microsoft.com)
Date: 09/11/03

    Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:19:50 -0700
    To: "Anderson, Kelly" <kjanders@umich.edu>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Anderson, Kelly [mailto:kjanders@umich.edu]
    Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 7:02 AM
    To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com
    Subject: Security for Win XP Home

    >Hello. I'm trying to advise a friend about how to better secure his
    >WinXP Home machine, and have not found anything that explains how this
    >can be done. This is a home machine, on an always-on cable modem, with
    >very un-savvy users.

    Try these links to at least get you started. Don't know if you're
    onsite, but the web sites have very clear instructions for even the most
    unsavvy of user, especially the first one.

    http://www.microsoft.com/security/home/
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/home/basics.asp

    > Thus far, I've discovered
    > that the Local Users and Groups is not available,

    Disclaimer: I'm not a MSFT security guy, just a paranoid developer who
    lurks on this list. Home has the concepts of "Adminstrators" and
    "Limited Users". Simple explanation on how to set this up here:
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxphusrm.htm.

    Better explanation here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/gettingstarted/shari
    ng/default.asp

    >For instance, it seems that to get administrator access, one must boot
    >to safe mode?

    Nope, all users are administrators by default (you'll, umm, probably
    want to change that <g>).

    Mike Stewart
    Visual Studio Software Design Engineer/Test

    KaVaDo provides the first and only integrated Web application scanner and
    firewall security suite that prevent Web applications attacks, the most
    common form of online exploitation. Download a FREE whitepaper on Security Policy Automation for Web Applications.
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/KaVaDo_focus-ms_030818

    • Re: Security for Win XP Home
      ... | WinXP Home machine, and have not found anything that explains how this ... And what about local security policies? ... In my opinion WinXP home is worthless, but if you must use it then you ... make sure that all the accounts have passwords. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: Security for Win XP Home
      ... Kelly: Subject: Security for Win XP Home ... WinXP Home machine, and have not found anything that explains how this ... Active Directory domains, but can't seem to understand what's up with ... Download a FREE whitepaper on Security Policy Automation for Web Applications. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Security for Win XP Home
      ... WinXP Home machine, and have not found anything that explains how this ... And what about local security policies? ... Active Directory domains, but can't seem to understand what's up with ... Download a FREE whitepaper on Security Policy Automation for Web Applications. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • RE: Security for Win XP Home
      ... The structure of WinXP Home is not really ... Security for Win XP Home ... Home machine, and have not found anything that explains how this can be ... Policy Automation for Web Applications. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • RE: Logon Passwords
      ... XP security is not the tightest. ... Just a stand a lone workstation, maybe on a peer to peer but it doesn't matter. ... > If the machine is part of a domain, you can have a domain administrator ... >>I have an XP home machine on which the user has added a password in order ...
      (microsoft.public.security)