Security for Win XP Home

From: Anderson, Kelly (kjanders_at_umich.edu)
Date: 09/10/03

    Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:01:41 -0400
    To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Hello. I'm trying to advise a friend about how to better secure his
    WinXP Home machine, and have not found anything that explains how this
    can be done. This is a home machine, on an always-on cable modem, with
    very un-savvy users.

    All the books on XP Home I've found are pretty dumbed-down. And most of
    the articles I've found discuss XP Pro and include a "blurb" about
    such-and-such not being available in XP Home. Thus far, I've discovered
    that the Local Users and Groups is not available, and that all
    connections authenticate as "guest". This is uncomfortable for someone
    who deals with domain security.

    For instance, it seems that to get administrator access, one must boot
    to safe mode? And what about local security policies? I'm very
    familiar with locking down an XP Pro machine, both inside and outside
    Active Directory domains, but can't seem to understand what's up with
    Home. Anyone have any advice?

    -Kelly

    Kelly J. Anderson, MCSE
    Windows 2000 Infrastructure
    University of Michigan
    http://www.umich.edu/~lannos/win2000

    KaVaDo provides the first and only integrated Web application scanner and
    firewall security suite that prevent Web applications attacks, the most
    common form of online exploitation. Download a FREE whitepaper on Security Policy Automation for Web Applications.
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/KaVaDo_focus-ms_030818

    • RE: Security for Win XP Home
      ... Security for Win XP Home ... >WinXP Home machine, and have not found anything that explains how this ... Simple explanation on how to set this up here: ... Download a FREE whitepaper on Security Policy Automation for Web Applications. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • RE: Security for Win XP Home
      ... The structure of WinXP Home is not really ... Security for Win XP Home ... Home machine, and have not found anything that explains how this can be ... Policy Automation for Web Applications. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: Security for Win XP Home
      ... Kelly: Subject: Security for Win XP Home ... WinXP Home machine, and have not found anything that explains how this ... Active Directory domains, but can't seem to understand what's up with ... Download a FREE whitepaper on Security Policy Automation for Web Applications. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: testing laptop based on bsd anyone
      ... "A new linux distribution for Wardrivers" ... I wasn't speaking about the relative strengths of security measures within ... As attacks through web applications continue to rise, ... vulnerability management needs. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: testing laptop based on bsd anyone
      ... Hopefully it will point at some nice BSD ... I wasn't speaking about the relative strengths of security measures within ... As attacks through web applications continue to rise, ... vulnerability management needs. ...
      (Pen-Test)