RE: How to block users from installing other apps

From: Dennis Bauer (dbauer_at_Mines.EDU)
Date: 07/07/03

    To: "'Sakaba'" <Sakaba@alexandria.cc>, "'VNV Jeep'" <vnvjeep@hotmail.com>, <janehan22@yahoo.com>
    Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:56:58 -0600

    I would like to point out that most users are not savvy enough to know
    how to do this. Also if they are then that would be one person out of
    how many. I know the risks with this and I actually have all the event
    logs from all the machines ported to the servers that I run. I know if
    one has its admin password changed right away and then re-image that
    machine. All the users know that if they have data on that machine and
    they do something of that nature I will rebuild to the last known good
    configuration. (know that I do a backup of their machines every night
    so data loss is not the question.) I have an image after every software
    install that I do. This makes the process a little less painful because
    I have remote client running on all machines in the forest that I run.
    So if they make the change it is noticeable and can be corrected really
    fast.

    Dennis