RE: Share Point?

From: Matt Andreko (mandreko_at_ori.net)
Date: 05/09/03

    To: "'Derek Schaible'" <dschaible@cssiinc.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:25:25 -0500

    Be sure to make a note that Sharepoint (at least sharepoint team
    services) uses local users. It does not use some authentication
    database or anything. If you tell it to create a new user for the site,
    or if the site allows a user to sign up, that user has an NT password on
    the system. This could help in establishing a privilege escalation
    exploit.

    Normally the local users are pretty stripped down, but it could be used
    with an exploit of some sort that requires little privilege.