Antwort: Monitor Services on Windows machines

From: Atencio@act-online.de
Date: 02/25/03

    To: MOHESOWA BYAS <byasmohesowa@sbm.intnet.mu>
    From: Atencio@act-online.de
    Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:11:40 +0100

    Hi,

    there are two ways to go:

    1.: Use one of the standard systems management solutions - I'd recommend
    netIQ, Tivoli or bmc as (quite) huge solutions with loads of
    functionality. Extremly expensive just for this purpose ;)

    2.: Do it "Your Way". Use the built in Windows alerting and notification
    services, use wsh/csh and VBScript to do this job just for the amount of
    time you need (apprx. 2 days) Or use any other scripting language of your
    favour (Perl, PHP, whatsoever)

    Solution "My Way" (quick 'n dirty):

    1. Either try to Configure "Performance and Warnings" (may have a
    different Name - I'm working on a german Win2k) to automatically send you
    an alert whenever a defined (known) process stops existing - this will
    work only, if you know exactly the name of the process (won't work with
    svchost.exe) or schedule a VBScript which is simply looking for a named
    service and delivers a defined return value for example '0' if the service
    is up and running and '1' if it has not been found (assuming that this
    means the service has stopped)

    2. Schedule a second script that sends you an alert corresponding to the
    return value of your VBScript(s). This would also be the place to
    automatically restart the monitored script, anyway I would do such things
    only after a period of life testing ;)

    Mit freundlichem Gruß

    Daniel Atencio

    Systems-Management Consulting
    ACT IT-Consulting & Services AG
    Rudolf-Diesel-Straße 18
    53859 Niederkassel

    Telefon: (0228) 97 125-0
    Telefax: (0228) 97 125-42
    Mobil: (0177) 813 25 06
    atencio@act-online.de

    MOHESOWA BYAS <byasmohesowa@sbm.intnet.mu>
    21.02.2003 10:29

            An: focus-ms@securityfocus.com
            Kopie:
            Thema: Monitor Services on Windows machines

    Hi,
    Is there a way to monitor if services on Win 2K Professional machines have
    been stopped or started? Can monitoring be done remotely?

    Aim is to monitor that users do not shutdown or start services that they
    are
    not supposed to.

    Thanks & Regards

    This message has been scanned by F-Secure Anti-Virus for Microsoft
    Exchange.

    • Re: Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools
      ... Of course if your server is prone to running out of resources you should also be collecting that data via snmp with thresholds to notify you before you have an outage or at least graphing it so you'll understand the trends. ... We were able to use the monitor to look for ... Most of the common things you would want are already built in so you don't have to script them - or install scripts on all the clients. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: trouble with Javascript Pop-up
      ... I was talking about some script to center your page on the monitor, ... the text link itself, the pop-up window generated ... You might play with the size of the fragment box...and you aren't using a ...
      (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
    • Re: trouble with Javascript Pop-up
      ... have been that I had my monitor set to 120 dpi, ... Here's the script for the pop-up: ... There is a centering code, but in the script, ... You might play with the size of the fragment box...and you aren't using a ...
      (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
    • Windows Script to monitor file size on remote servers
      ... I have recently written a script to monitor the file size on ... tricky part was to determine %systemroot% on remote systems (not ... or FQDNs of the servers you wish to connect to. ...
      (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
    • Re: Command or setting to force monitor on?
      ... Keystrokes vbs script? ... But the same symptoms as without cscript, monitor not waking up, when I ... I set up a batch file containing the commands to first start IE, ... could move to the keystrokes command. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)