Re: website inside or outside the domain?

From: g0d (g0d@mrplaydoh.org)
Date: 02/11/03

    Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:39:59 -0800
    From: g0d <g0d@mrplaydoh.org>
    To: "Chris W. Parker" <cparker@swatgear.com>

    On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:23:52 -0800
    "Chris W. Parker" <cparker@swatgear.com> wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > Is it a better practice in general to join a webserver to a domain or to
    > leave it in it's own workgroup?

    it is better to leave it in a workgroup. while administration would be
    easier if it were on your domain, if an attacker roots your webserver,
    they have also achieved domain-level access. firewalls can't protect
    against vulnerabilities in the services you intentionally offer and
    lord knows iis has a lot of vulns to offer. if your webserver gets
    cracked, the attacker can than easily compromise your domain.

    --
    g0d
    g0d@mrplaydoh.org

    Relevant Pages

    • RE: website inside or outside the domain?
      ... Keep it in a separate, stand-alone domain (not workgroup). ... Is it a better practice in general to join a webserver to a domain or to ... The reason I ask is because managing the permissions on the webserver is ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • website inside or outside the domain?
      ... Is it a better practice in general to join a webserver to a domain or to ... leave it in it's own workgroup? ... The reason I ask is because managing the permissions on the webserver is ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • WebServer part of Domain??
      ... Is is good practice to make your webserver part of the domain, ... be a standalone server? ... Chris ...