website inside or outside the domain?

From: Chris W. Parker (cparker@swatgear.com)
Date: 02/10/03

    Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:23:52 -0800
    From: "Chris W. Parker" <cparker@swatgear.com>
    To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Hello.

    Is it a better practice in general to join a webserver to a domain or to
    leave it in it's own workgroup?

    The reason I ask is because managing the permissions on the webserver is
    made difficult since I don't have access to the domain users and groups.
    That is, (as far as I know) I cannot add a domain group (i.e.
    DOMAIN\weborders) to a resource on the webserver. Instead I have to make
    a group locally on the webserver that mimics the group (and users in
    that group) on the domain.

    Another reason I would like to join the webserver to the domain is
    because I could turn off Anonymous Access and force the users to login.
    BUT I am imagining their domain credentials would automatically be
    passed to the intranet site thus logging them in automagically. I would
    then have access to their username's from within my .asp pages.

    The only reason I have not joined the server to the domain yet is
    because I am not sure what sorts of negative side effects there might be
    that I don't know about.

    Can anyone shed any light on these situations and/or offer alternatives?

    Thanks,
    Chris.

    Relevant Pages

    • RE: website inside or outside the domain?
      ... Keep it in a separate, stand-alone domain (not workgroup). ... Is it a better practice in general to join a webserver to a domain or to ... The reason I ask is because managing the permissions on the webserver is ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: website inside or outside the domain?
      ... > Is it a better practice in general to join a webserver to a domain or to ... it is better to leave it in a workgroup. ... easier if it were on your domain, if an attacker roots your webserver, ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?
      ... I've been playing around with RTS and ICS and it is a really ... The reason why I personally don't use Delphi on the webserver is that it ... I don't see a reason for using anything else than Apache and Linux on the ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • Re: [PHP] Where does the sendmail() function come from?
      ... I'm now in the process of moving a site to a new webserver, ... reason I haven't got a sendmail() any more. ...
      (php.general)
    • Directory Access Problem
      ... I run a webserver with client websites on.The machine i am ... talking about is the development box so every Junior has ... access to it.For some reason they chnaged the access on ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.file_system)