website inside or outside the domain?

From: Chris W. Parker (cparker@swatgear.com)
Date: 02/10/03

    Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:23:52 -0800
    From: "Chris W. Parker" <cparker@swatgear.com>
    To: <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Hello.

    Is it a better practice in general to join a webserver to a domain or to
    leave it in it's own workgroup?

    The reason I ask is because managing the permissions on the webserver is
    made difficult since I don't have access to the domain users and groups.
    That is, (as far as I know) I cannot add a domain group (i.e.
    DOMAIN\weborders) to a resource on the webserver. Instead I have to make
    a group locally on the webserver that mimics the group (and users in
    that group) on the domain.

    Another reason I would like to join the webserver to the domain is
    because I could turn off Anonymous Access and force the users to login.
    BUT I am imagining their domain credentials would automatically be
    passed to the intranet site thus logging them in automagically. I would
    then have access to their username's from within my .asp pages.

    The only reason I have not joined the server to the domain yet is
    because I am not sure what sorts of negative side effects there might be
    that I don't know about.

    Can anyone shed any light on these situations and/or offer alternatives?

    Thanks,
    Chris.