Re: How to kill OL2000 ability to render html mail

From: Mark (mark@uniontown.com)
Date: 12/20/02

    From: "Mark" <mark@uniontown.com>
    To: <jre@eavessolutions.com>
    Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:25:09 -0500

    If you just want to avoid web bugs and sucking bandwidth, I go ahead and let
    outlook render the page but have a personal firewall watch the apps (like
    tiny firewall (free I think)), and ban the Outlook executable from hitting
    anything but the email server (on the email ports only).

    Usually this is transparent to the user, but I personally force the firewall
    software to prompt me on each outbound SMTP connection from the outlook
    executable in the rare event I do get a virus, this will help mitigate
    infections to others.

    Note that this won't protect you from interpreted HTML exploits and such
    that can be included in an email (Klez for example). The firewall does
    catch Klez trying to spread (tested it).

    -Mark