Re: /Rpc virtual directory in IIS - How did it get there?

From: Frank Knobbe (
Date: 12/08/02

    From: Frank Knobbe <>
    Date: 07 Dec 2002 21:33:12 -0600

    On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 21:08, wrote:
    > [...] Plus, we only allow SSL/TCP 443 traffic to it from the Internet, which generally wards off the most common IIS attacks.
    > [...]

    meeep .... wrong.

    SSL doesn't ward off attacks. Some worms that don't use SSL may not be
    able to get you, but SSL does nothing for security vulnerabilities, i.e.
    it doesn't make you not vulnerable against Unicode et. al.

    You can still run exploits over SSL and hack a box. One just needs to
    rig the attack scripts to use SSL, that's all. Don't think that because
    you are using SSL, you are secure.