RE: Question: Buffer Overrun in Microsoft Data Access Components Coul d Lead to Code Execution (Q329414)

From: Brad Bemis (
Date: 11/27/02

    Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 08:51:27 -0800
    From: "Brad Bemis" <>
    To: "Harris, Ken" <>, "Kolde, Jennifer E." <>,

    I am a little leery about installing MDAC on client systems that do not
    require the full suite of services it provides.

    We have been updating our servers to MDAC 2.7, but rolling out the patch
    via logon/shutdown scripts to our client base. I am not entirely happy
    about the inherent flaw in this particular patch, but as I understand it,
    the flaw revolves around the new component control for RDS being replace by
    a pre-patched version.

    Has anybody taken a good hard look at what discernable changes take place
    when the pre-patched version is reintroduced?

    I'd be interested in the possibility of identifying specific elements of
    the control that can be tested by a script to determine which version is
    currently active and reapplying the patch if indeed the old control
    component has been reintroduced.

    Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

    - - Brad Bemis