RE: Secure / Encrypt Terminal Services

From: Eric Devine (devineeric@yahoo.com)
Date: 11/27/02

    Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:00:14 -0800 (PST)
    From: Eric Devine <devineeric@yahoo.com>
    To: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

    How does this sort of thing affect the ActiveX
    Terminal services option in IE? as far as I know
    there is no way to point that to a different
    port? The nice thing about the IE option is any
    computer with IE can be used and the Client is
    self installing so I don't need to keep a floppy
    disk handy.
    Hmm.. I will bet I get jumped all over in the
    reply's because whenever something is easy it is
    generally not secure :)

    Previously written Message thread
    Follows---------

    if you change the ts port - the pocket pc clients

    definitely will not be
    able to connect, they don't seem to understand
    the server:port syntax. (not
    that you asked about pocket pcs - but i brought
    it up so i wanted to include
    these details)

    so make sure you check out this kb article...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304304

    ..which tells you how to alter the remote desktop

    client connection port.
    remote desktop client is the one which came with
    windows xp and is much
    better/more stable than the one included with
    windows 2000.

    grab the remote desktop client here...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304304

    yeah, it is REALLY annoying that the high
    encryption pack for pocket pcs
    doesn't alter the ts encryption level available
    to those clients.

    -d