RE: Exchange in the DMZ

From: David Sommers (dsommers@dialogmedical.com)
Date: 11/26/02

    Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:05:46 -0500
    From: "David Sommers" <dsommers@dialogmedical.com>
    To: <Matt.Carpenter@alticor.com>

    But by only allowing SMTP traffic to by proxied back into Exchange, you
    lose a lot of the benefits of Exchange.

    If you want to use OWA securely or access Exchange using Outlook via the
    Internet, read ISA's specs and you'll see that it was built for this.
    ISA is a stateful firewall that also inspects the packets to insure that
    the data flowing over HTTP is indeed OWA related (w/ SSL of course).

    If you honestly wanted to just use SMTP proxy with Exchange, then use
    VPN to tunnel internally and access Exchange via the tunnel or send mail
    using the US Postal Service.

    From Microsoft's web site:

    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/deployment/ISAandExchange.as
    Configuring and Securing Exchange 2000 Server and Clients
    Read this white paper to learn how ISA Server and Microsoft Exchange
    2000 Server work together to make it possible for you to publish
    internal servers to the Internet without compromising the security of
    your network.

    /David.